Sunday, 30 November 2014

Needlework at School



Until the 1970's  needlework  was taught to all Australian girls at school.  We started with simple projects, cross stitched on gingham,  graduated to embroidering and making linen for our Glory Box. 

Then on to dress making, pattern drafting and tailoring.  We learnt how to smock, set in sleeves, make four different pockets and collars. There was the flat seam, the french seam and the flat fell seam.  Not to mention facings, linings,  fastenings, button holes, slip hemmed hems, bound hems, shaped hems, faced shaped hem and shelled edged hems.  
We made nighties with lace and lawn, babies clothes,designed our débutante dress, wedding dress and made our going away outfit.  We learnt about fabrics, what they were made of and how best to use them

I suppose back then it was important we knew these things, our mothers made our clothes, darned our socks and if you wanted something nice for the home you made it. Societies  expectation of most women was to become a wife and mother.  Time moves on and the gentle crafts are no longer taught in schools.


Looking for something to do while waiting for the swelling to go down in my leg I came a cross a supper cloth I purchased  for Needlework classes in my final year of school. Bit of a challenge, the instructions have been lost over the years but I am pleased with the progress so far.




With an operation on my knee this week and 9 weeks recovery this is one W.I.P I will WIMP  lol



7 comments:

  1. That's interesting. We didn't do any needlework in school (I graduated in 1975) in Canada. My mom, though, taught me to embroider and to darn socks. I HATED darning socks! But, I did, and do like to embroider. Your project is really pretty! From the progress you have made so far, I think you'll finish it long before your knee is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen thanks for your lovely comment. My mum is 20 odd years older than I am and she was taught needlework at school also. I think it is sad that young women are not learning the gentle arts but then it is a throw away society these days, no need to make your own linen any more. Cheers Pauline

      Delete
  2. Oh so pretty, you are doing great with this one. Hope your leg is feeling a bit better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Helen,
      I will have to follow Doctors orders to make sure the leg heals quickly.
      Hubby gets to cook Christmas Dinner this year. Thank goodness he can cook. Cheers Pauline

      Delete
  3. Sorry about your leg but enjoy the rest and the cooked XMAS dinner. I wish..
    I did a little sewing at school but not as much as that. I too have a supper cloth not finished. It was given to me started by my mum. I think it was my Nanas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo I know what you mean. I am finishing off doilies and an aprom my mum started over 50 years ago
      Cheers pauline

      Delete
  4. Love the embroidery. I used to do lots, but there seems to be less use for embroidered items these days... but I have done a couple of pictures from here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are valued and I look forward to reading them.