Thursday, 9 October 2014

The Fibonacci Grid.

I am a member of a Facebook group Quilt Club Australia, one of the members posted about  Fibonacci Grid.   I have heard of the grid in the past but never fully understood it or the principal of using it in quilting. The Wikipedia definition the first two numbers in the Fibonacci sequence are 1 and 1, or 0 and 1, depending on the chosen starting point of the sequence, and each subsequent number is the sum of the previous two.

Wow just thinking about this gave me a headache. In the end I Googled images of the fibonacci grid for quilt borders and was able to find a copy of the chart. The chart made it much easier to understand 

The chart is designed for use when planning your quilts If you use the chart in the planning stages your quilt  design will have a well balanced appearance. I decided I needed to test the theory out. I applied the recommended borders for an 8 inch block to one of my EQ7 designs.  

The  chart came from Pintrest.  Unable to quote original source

 My EQ7 Designs before I added the Fabonacci theory



This is the same quilt after I had applied the theory.  What do you think is it more balanced?





9 comments:

  1. thanks for that chart, Pauline--Balancing is an "act" for sure in my quilts..lol hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julierose hope the chart helps. I love it when other quilters pass on little nuggets of gold. I would never have looked for the chart if there had not been a fb post about it lol
      Cheers

      Delete
  2. Fibonacci rocks. However, I'm not sure it is appropriate for quilts because you also need to take into account the colour and business balance. I prefer the first quilt. The second appears to be a bit washed out, imho.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second one definitely looks more balanced. I knew that they should be narrow - medium - wide, but never knew how to figure out how wide each should be. Thanks for the chart - I've saved it for the next time I need to determine border sizes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen Thanks for the visit hope the chart comes in useful
      If you use the chart it does not matter in what order you put the boarders. You can put a wide and two narrow or two narrow a wide and a medium. As many boarders as you like as long as they are the widths recommended for the block size. Cheers

      Delete
  4. I can definitely see the difference in the second quilt. So well balanced! I have read about the Fibonacci Theory but never saw it in action! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosemary sorry my response has taken so long. Thanks for visiting my blog. I have a couple of UFO's I did not like and have made changes using the table. I really does make a difference.
      Cheers Pauline

      Delete
  5. Hmmmm, had to keep going back ... I like them both :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are valued and I look forward to reading them.