Sunday, 2 February 2014

What to do with that piece of fabric?

Welcome to Rengin from http://renginscolors.blogspot.com.au thanks for joining us.

Back to that piece of fabric!!! Sometimes we buy fabric because we fall in love with it. I fell in love with this piece and purchased two metres of it. Wrong wrong wrong. That's the problem with buying just one piece of fabric. I should have purchased others from the same range.


It has sat in my cupboard for the past two years and I have found it hard to match other fabrics to it. I did managed to find a green spot and while digging through my scrap bag I found a small piece of pink with red flowers and I had some red on cream fabric I stole from another project. I begged a friend for a piece of green she had in her stash and finally had enough fabric for a project.

Now what to make???. Out came all the magazines and I searched my EQ6 for inspiration.  In EQ6 I came across a vase of flowers I thought I could adapt to make a centre medallion.



I returned to EQ6 and played for a while with the fabrics and blocks. I came up with a simple design I hope will show off  the red fabric.


After adapting the centre medallion and completing the appliqué I thought  it was a little too plain with just 3 flowers, it needed something more. The vase is now full and I am happy with the end result.


The colours are muted but I think it is going to work and make the red shine. 










8 comments:

  1. We all do it Pauline. I did it quite recently so I have not learnt yet! Two metres of fabric sitting in my stash waiting for inspiration to strike. I love the additional flowers in your vase.
    Cath @ Bits 'n Bobs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cath
      I don't think I will every learn, I tend to buy because I love a piece of fabric and my quilts usually grow from that piece. I did buy some coordinated fabrics but have robbed from them to use in other projects lol
      Happy stitching
      Cheers Pauline

      Delete
  2. Love the fabric. I always look at Japanese taupe's if I have a problem choosing what fabric to add, they are usually textured and mix easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japanese taupe's are beautiful thanks for the tip
      Cheers Pauline

      Delete
  3. I love the way you've designed this! Fantastic!

    I very seldom buy a "line" of fabric. I find that if I buy what I love, I find a use for it. (USUALLY!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen glad you like it. The fabric is too pretty not to use. Sometimes we just need to wait for inspiration.
      Cheers Pauline

      Delete

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are valued and I look forward to reading them.