Tuesday, 28 May 2013

Adding to my Stash.

We all enjoy adding to our stash but sadly the cost of fabric in Australia is out of my price range. This was demonstrate during a visit to Spotlight, the average price for 1 metre of 100% cotton fabric was $22.50 au and ranged up to $28 au per metre.  I don't know about you but I visit these stores to be inspired (and add to my stash), instead I came away empty handed.    After reading posts on the Facebook page Quilt Club Australia and having a discussion with Kristine from Kanga Quilting  I looked into buying fabric online from America.

The first site I tried was http://www.fabric.com  Fabric.com has a wide range of fabrics.

There are over 30 categories of fabric
  •  Just arrived
  • Designer fabrics including Moda and Amy Butler
  • Designer basics
  • Fabrics under $6.00us
  • Retro/Mod fabrics
  • Oriental Cotton prints
  • Holiday fabrics
  • Christmas fabrics



The second site I visited was www.thousandsofbolts.com this site is organised in colour groups and themes.

I found it easy to navigate through the fabric categories and Thousands of Bolts made it easy to search for fabric matches.  Next to the fabric image is a colour match button. 

To find fabrics to go with your selection you simply

Click on the colour match button
Click on one of the colours in the fabric
Click on search colour

All fabrics matching the colour you chose will be displayed. 








I purchased fabrics from both sites paying through paypal.  The fabrics from both sites arrived within a week via UPS.  I purchased 17 yards if fabric for $95au plus postage cost $51.90au.
The average cost per yard works out to be $8.60au

9 comments:

  1. Pauline, I have used equilter.com a lot and they have the best fabric website I've ever found. They can put you on their email list and keep you up to date with sales. At the moment I think they have a Memorial Day sale on and you can get fabrics from as little as $5 a yard. Another favourite is pinkchalkfabrics.com and they have more of a modern range. I've ordered from both several times and never had a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sooli I will have a look at both sites.

      Cheers pauline

      Delete
  2. Hi Pauline--Another good site that I really like a lot is "equilter.com" they have tons of fabrics and also a super clearance page--what I like is that they have categories and a color graph you can use to find specific ranges of colors....give it a try..hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julierose thanks for letting me know, Sounds like I will have a fun morning look at more fabric.

      Cheers Pauline

      Delete
  3. 28 dollars!!!??!!! Ouch, big ouch. My quilting days would certainly be over if I had to pay those prices, so glad you were able to buy some online at least.
    blessings, jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill my quilting days were almost over lol. Thanks to the quilting community I can keep on quilting.

      Cheers Pauline

      Delete
  4. Wow, it is outrageous what you pay there. I'm glad you were able to find some online. Now quilt away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terry I try to shop either local or Australian but sadly it is no longer possible.

      Cheers Pauline

      Delete
  5. Paulene, try also Hancocks. When you sign up, your first purchase usually is free shipping, (Orders over a set amount) and during the year they have specials when they free ship again. eBay sellers in the states are another good option for purchasing yardage at less than what we pay here. Glad you've found a less expensive avenue for purchasing fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are valued and I look forward to reading them.