Saturday, 30 March 2013

March CQJP2013 Block and google searches

A big welcome to Linda from http://artinspirations-linturn.blogspot.com.au Thanks for joining us. 

I have finished my March block but as they say not  a happy camper.  I have used bigger beads and made silk flowers but they just don't seem right.  Perhaps when the blocks  are sewn together it will look better.


I am making another Wagga, this time from recycled curtain backing, flanelette shirts and flanelette sheets.  So far I have managed to hand dye the curtain backing and sew one round of the logs.


I enjoy making Waggas because they remind me of my childhood. My Wagga was bright jewel colours and and I remember snuggling under it on cold winters days. While talking with my mother the other day I discovered it was made from curtain fabrics sewn together crazy patch style and the middle layer was flour bags.  With 5 children under 7  and one wage coming into the house I understand why we all had a Wagga.

What has all this got to do with Google searches? 
I wanted to look at some images of Waggas before I wrote this post and typed in Images of Wagga rugs.  While I was scrolling through the image I found an image of the last one I made.  I am not sure to be disconcerted or pleased that my Wagga comes up in a google search.



If you would like to find out more, view photos of Waggas and Australian historical quilts visit http://www.collectionsaustralia.net/nqr/  The Quilt Tree has information and images of some of Australia's earliest quilts

Hope you are all enjoying your East.  Please stay safe.





10 comments:

  1. I love your square, very pretty. Happy Easter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terry your comment makes me feel better about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the block turned out very well. I like the bigger beads and the silk ribbon flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Jill. I think when the blocks are sewn together it will be fine.

      Delete
  4. I think your block looks nice :-) You've got so much more patience then me, piecing all of those fabrics together!

    Have a lovely evening,
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sarah hope you enjoy your evening too.

    Cheers Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know the term Wagga until I read your post. That sounds like the Australian version of our historical rag quilts. Not sure though. I'm going to visit that link you posted. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glady thanks for your comment
      It is pronounced Wogga and comes from the town of Wagga Wagga where the flour sacks were used for the flour from the mill. The Wagga rugs were made by men using the flour sacks during the depression. And you are right they are a version of a rag quilt pretty much anything was used.
      Cheers Pauline

      Delete
  7. Great post, thanks for sharing this. I love using curtain fabrics as I can make my own curtains, as well as other soft furnishings and upholstery that match. However, I am particular with my choice of fabric and I have to say that my favourite is Sanderson Dandelion Clocks fabric. There is one reason for this and that is because it gives a retro and modern look at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks your comment Mathew. Will have to look at the fabric you use. I recently purchased some Madison Avenue fabric from their Home Collections range. It is cotton/linen and has a great look to it.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting. Your comments are valued and I look forward to reading them.